Now the the worst phase of the man made (to be specific, Communists made, click here #CommieMadeDisaster for what Twitter felt about it) disaster in Kerala, the worst flood of the century, is over and has entered Rehabilitation phase, time to look back at possible lessons (that we will still not learn). Starting this series with a Mystical Event (based on experiences shared by many who have partaken it in the past) that took place in Sabarimala – The Ashtamangala Devaprashnam. While the focus of this piece is not to explain or defend the practice (I am a non-entity to write a commentary on much revered Prasna Marga, leave alone Deva Prashna which is altogether a different realm. It is to highlight the findings which got published in various media way back in June 2018 (that is 2 months before the disaster struck Kerala). Point is not even that, why selectively some recommendations (that got material or pecuniary benefit to some) got accepted and implemented in a jiffy but that which (with benefit of hindisight) affected much larger population were not even deemed worthy of a look-in
The Devaprashnam was primarily called for, because of the incident where an Elephant carrying the Idol from Sannidhanam to Arattu Kadavu ran amok injuing a few pilgrims and setting panic. (Manorama News Report below)
The Devaprashnam was delayed and held only in June 2018, because of passing away of Tantri Kandararu Maheshwararu.
Here is the article published in June 2018 Edition of “Sree Ayyappan” official monthly of Akhila Bharatha Ayyapa Seva Sangham on the findings of the Devaprashnam.
The one below is another clipping I recieved on Whatsapp from a friend
There was a Television report telecast (according to information given to me) on June 18th 2018, where the findings and warning about disasters in Pamba was mentioned.
Credit: TV Janam
Summary of the findings and remedies (from the Sree Ayyappan Magazine)
The changes that has been brought in the rituals is not to the liking of the Lord Ayyappa. The 5 day Ezhunallathu ritual (Procession) done after Makara Vilakku for Malikapurattamma has deviated a lot. There is a displeasure seen in Lord for discontinuing the practice of using Elephant for this ezhunallathu during the Makara (Jan-Feb) month. If there has been trouble with Elephant, the remedy is not to discontinue using Elephants for the rituals, but to determine the causes for the trouble. However use of Elephant in the Meena (March-April) month is not mandatory. The defects on the Thidambu (The idol carried on the Elephant during ceremonial processions) has to be rectified immediately. Lord is unhappy for discontinuing the use of accompanying Vaal (Sword) from the ceremonial proceedings. This is an essential accessory for the Ezhunallathu.
Blocking the vision of Lord Ayyappa is the Shelter built on top of 18 Holy steps. This has to be rectified immediately. Ponnambalamedu has to be protected. Lot of shortcomings in the Naivedya also is seen. Along with Aravana, even Milk payasam has to be offered on all days. The night puja before Lord retires for resting, has to essentially have Paalpayasam as naivedya along with Tambula puja. The Tila Payasam (Sesame seed Payasam) which is currently only offered on Saturdays has to be done everyday. Ensure purity of all offerings including Sandal paste. Newly built Bhasma Kulam has no natural flow. It has to be rebuilt. ತ
Sharamkutti has been moved from its original place and is rendered impure. Vandiperiyar Subramanya Swamy temple which is closely associated with Sabarimala is totally neglected, which needs to be remedied. It is also seen that some Vaishnava temple has been destroyed which needs to be recovered and restored. Change of Kochukadutta Swamy temple also is not to Lord’s liking. Nagaraja or Snake that has a lot of significance in Sabarimala has seen some killings of snakes. Similarly, there has been killing of cow, to be remedied by building a Goshala and protect them.
Sri Rama Padam in Pamba Triveni has to be protected. There is Bhadrakali in Pamba. The change that has happened in the location where Guruthi (Symbolic blood offering to represent Vitality) has been reason for lot of repercussions.
Malikappuratamma also has to be given equal importance as in Sabarimala. THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF A CALAMITY IN PAMBA
TV Janam reports over and above that Kandararu Maheswararu, who expired in May, died out of pain due to removal of Mohanaru as Sabarimala thantri over a scandal. It was found the cause for the demise of the thantri was due to son Kandararu Mohanaru’s misfortunes. Rectification of the senior thantri’s cause of worry was needed.
Translation of the picture that has point to point findings.
- Location of the Temple doesn’t indicate any fault
- Likelihood of land related disputes against Sabarimala for which some Prayaschitta (Atonement measures) have to be undertaken
- Increase Naivedyam (offerings) to Lord Ganapathi
- Need to give attention to satiating Lord Ganapathi which is ignored at this time
- The second installation of Lord Ganapathi in front of Homa Kunda (Sacrificial Fire place) has to be moved to appropriate location, installed and regular Puja and Abhishekham to be performed
- Tantri (Vedic and Spiritual Head who decides on the Primary and core rituals and practices in a Temple) and Melshanti (Chief Priest) who currently reside within the compound of the Main Temple complex have to be moved out and located outside the compound walls.
- All the priests including Chief Priest should be given Orientation classes every year by Tantri on the rituals, traditions and practices.
- Kalabam (Sandal Paste) Abhishekam is not part of the Temple tradition. Since it is being done, ensure it is done the right way.
- As per the signs emerging, Lord Ayyappa is not getting comfortable and adequate rest. Tantri has to find a remedy for this.
- The doors of the Sanctum Sanctorum doesn’t close properly, this needs to be addressed on priority and changed at the earliest
- Many such defects on the structures outside the temples needs to be fixed too
- Most problems would be solved, just by proper worship of Lord Ayyappa
- Priests, Security and Police have not been noble and have been faulty through their deeds and words. This has to be remedied
- Priests, Police & Devaswom Security should behave properly with the Pilgrims.
- One of the primary reasons for these problems is misbehaviour with the devotees and pilgrims. Staff who are related to pilgrim management or interaction should be given proper training
- We can see signs that there is concerted efforts by various organization to defame Ayyappa Temple. Remedial (Parihaara) and Atonement (Prayaschitta) actions would help us to hear Good news in this regard.
- Lord is being used as a means of conducting business. This has to be stopped.
- Do not indicate in any forms sponsors inside the temple premises.
- THE DAIVAJNAS (ASTROLOGERS ASKING QUESTIONS) SEE IMPENDING CALAMITY IN PAMBA
- Proper puja and Naivedya (Divine Offering) to be performed in Ganapathi temple in Pamba
- Mahamrutjunajaya Homam to be performed every month in Sabarimala. This has to be done for one year.
- The rivalry between Alangad and Ambalapuzha petta thullal teams is not being liked by Lord Ayyappa. This is easy to be remedied. (For more reading about the ritualistic significance of these two teams, click HERE)
- Bhasmakulam (The temple pond in Sannidhanam) has to be rebuilt.
- Lord Ayyappa wants a part of the revenue to be earmarked for the needy.
- The current Devaswom board has the will to issue orders to the Management committee.
Additional Reading :